You can make this hummus within only 5 minutes in a high-powered blender. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can make this hummus recipe in a food processor. Start by chopping the garlic first, and use only 1/4 cup of liquid.
If you like to make a mildly-seasoned hummus for general use and then scoop out half of it, add additional seasonings to the Vitamix, and blend.
Oil-free Hummus in the Blender
You can make this with either canned or home cooked chickpeas. If you’re using canned, use using organic beans. Drain the liquid from one of the cans, but leave the other undrained and use its liquid instead of the water. If you’re using home cooked chickpeas, you may need less water so start with barely 3/4 cup and add more if the hummus is too thick.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (See notes below for home-cooked chickpeas)
- 2-4 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or 4 tablespoons sesame seeds)
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Drain one of the cans of chickpeas. Dump both cans (including liquid from one) into the blender. Place all remaining ingredients except salt in the blender in the order listed, using the smaller amounts. Start the machine on low and increase speed to high. Use the Vitamix plunger to break up air pockets and push chickpeas toward the blades, if necessary. (Other blenders: Stop and use a spatula to do this.) If the mixture is too thick, add water a tablespoon at a time. Turn up to the highest speed and blend for a few seconds until hummus is completely smooth.
- Stop blender and taste the hummus. Add additional seasonings and salt to taste and blend briefly to combine.
- Store hummus in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It`s best after it’s had a chance to rest for at least an hour, but use within a week.
If using home-cooked chickpeas, use 3 cups chickpeas and 3/4 cup chickpea broth or water.
If you want to remove half of the hummus to serve as-is and get creative with the other half. Try adding any one of the following during the last brief blending: roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, chipotle chile peppers, green onions, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, jalapeno peppers, black or green olives, balsamic vinegar, spinach, smoked salt or Liquid Smoke.