You recently become vegan and you want to try something really tasty? Well, this vegan mac and cheese recipe is incredibly creamy and remarkably cheese-like! You won’t believe how delicious vegan mac and cheese can be. The recipe is for 2 large or 4 modest servings and can be done in 40 minutes.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces whole-grain macaroni elbows;
- 1 head of broccoli, florets cut into small pieces (about 1 ½ to 2 cups);
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil;
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced;
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup peeled and grated russet potato (4 ounces, about 1 small or ½ medium potato);
- Spices: ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder, ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, small pinch of red pepper flakes;
- ⅔ cup raw cashews;
- 1 cup water, more as necessary;
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast;
- 2 to 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, to taste.
If you want you can modify this vegan mac and cheese recipe and replace the broccoli with finely chopped kale or peas (about 1 ½ cups). Cashews should be soaked for 4 hours to make them easier to blend and to digest. And just another advice plus: when you are buying vegetables always prefer organic, because they are pesticide-free and the best for your health.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta. Cook according to package directions. If using broccoli, stir it into the pot when just 2 to 3 more minutes remaining. Drain, and transfer the contents to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-to-large saucepan, warm the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Then add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender and turning translucent.
- Add the grated potato, garlic, and spices (red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt). Stir to combine, and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute to enhance their flavors.
- Add the cashews and water, and stir to combine. Let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue simmering until the potatoes are completely tender and cooked through about 5 to 8 minutes with frequent stirring. Reduce heat as necessary to avoid a rapid boil.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the nutritional yeast and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth (about 2 minutes), stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. If you would prefer a thinner consistency or the mixture won’t blend easily, just add water in ¼ cup increments, blending after each one.
- Taste, and blend in additional salt until the sauce is utterly irresistible. If it needs a little more zip, add the remaining teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Blend again.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl of pasta. Stir until well combined, and serve immediately. Leftovers keep well, chilled and covered, for 3 to 4 days. Gentle reheat, adding a tiny splash of water if needed to loosen up the sauce.
We hope you enjoy this vegan mac and cheese recipe!